PSNZ is honoured to have John Boyd, Hon FPSNZ Hon PSNZ APSNZ as its Patron.
John Boyd is a Wellington resident and has been a member of PSNZ for 54 years which stands him in good stead to fulfil this distinguished role.
He first became interested in photography as a way of recording tramping trips while he was at school. On a visit to the Alexandra Photographic Society his eyes were opened to a whole new world of pictorialism.
With a career in banking, John moved around the country from post to post and as a consequence, he has been a member of several affiliated clubs, including: Alexandra Photographic Society, Dunedin Camera Club, Milton Camera Club, South Canterbury Photographic Society, Twizel Outdoors and Photography Club, Wellington Photographic Society, Christchurch Photographic Society, Printmakers (Christchurch) and the Dunedin Photographic Society.
He is currently a member of the Taupo Camera Club. Throughout the years he has been a committee member, secretary, treasurer or president of some of these clubs.
John, along with his wife Val attended their first PSNZ National Convention in Queenstown in 1964 and since then have been fortunate to attend most conventions.
There have been many milestones during his membership tenure, some of which include:
- Joined PSNZ 1962
- Received his APSNZ 1973
- A PSNZ Councillor from 1971 to 1975, with responsibility for: Business Manager NZ Camera,
Director National & International Exhibitions; Recorded Lecture Distribution; Member of Senior
Advisory Panel of Judges, 1975 until disbanded
- Member of the Honours Board 1989 – 1992; co-opted again in 2006
- Received Hon.Life Member of Wellington Photographic Society, 1995
- Secretary PSNZ Honours Board 1995 – 2001
- Awarded (jointly with Val) PSNZ Service Medal, 2001
- Elected PSNZ Council 2001 – Permanent Collection portfolio
- PSNZ Vice President 2002-2003
- PSNZ President 2004-2005
- Received Hon PSNZ 2008
- Joint co-ordinator of Honours Board since 2012
- Received Hon FPSNZ 2012
- Judge Accreditation Panel since 2014
- Appointed as Patron 2015.