Please note that all workshops under the PSNZ Workshop Series are only available to PSNZ Members. If you wish to attend a workshop, but are not a member of PSNZ, you can join us by completing our online application form.
Please remember to read our Cancellation Policy, below.
- This event has passed.
Fabulous Fabric Portraits
24 February @ 12:00 PM – 25 February @ 3:00 PM
Charlotte E. Johnson is a photographic artist and educator, working full-time in Auckland as a digital imaging specialist. In her artworks, she captures original images filled with emotion: contemporary portraiture and landscapes. Her art has gained a national audience within Aotearoa-New Zealand as part of several exhibitions, books and magazines, and international publications. Her pieces are held in the New Zealand Maritime Museum, the McGregor Museum, and private collections.
Charlotte’s teaching style is encouraging and supportive. She loves to share her knowledge and believes that continuing our personal development is how we stay inspired.
In this workshop, you will learn how to put-together creative portraits featuring fabulous dresses and flowing movement using just a length of fabric and a camera, as well as how to process your shots for maximum impact. This two-day workshop includes setup and image capture on day one, and post-processing on day two.
On Saturday, we will commence at 9.00 am at the Kumeu Arts Centre and spend the day learning and practising the same techniques Charlotte used to create the images in her recent exhibition. Charlotte will demonstrate how natural light can be used to set mood, and the basics of working with models. Learning will be through hands-on practical sessions interspersed with short tutorials. You will work in rotation with all three models which we will style. The day will end at around 3.00pm.
On Sunday, we will begin at 9.00 at the Kumeu Arts Centre and spend an hour refreshing fundamental Photoshop skills (tools, layers and masks). Experienced Photoshop users are welcome to join the day from 10.00. You will then learn how to make composites from the images you captured on Saturday by bringing together the best elements of several photographs into a single polished image. Topics covered include:
- Selecting images from your shots
- Canvas expansion
- Generative fill to remove unwanted elements
- Compositing an image by bringing together multiple images that feature the best flowing fabric elements and model posing.
This workshop is suitable for all levels. Charlotte will provide assistance where needed, whether it’s camera settings, artistic direction, troubleshooting Photoshop, or general support.
PSNZ Cancellation Policy
Due to the nature of the PSNZ Workshop Series and that the workshops are generally for small groups and often over-subscribed, cancellations can have a significant financial and attendance effect on the workshop, as well as creating a lot of further administration work.
Although we do everything possible to ensure our workshops proceed, sometimes there are things beyond our control.
- PSNZ reserves the right to postpone or cancel a workshop due unforeseen circumstances e.g. covid level affects, facilitator illness, venue access issues, etc. In the event we do cancel a planned workshop, we will attempt to inform attendees as soon as possible and in most cases you will be given an alternative date to attend or provided with a full refund of the workshop costs.
- If a workshop is postponed, the first right of refusal will be given to those who were already booked on that workshop for the rescheduled workshop.
- Should a workshop fail to attract a required minimum number of attendees to make it viable to run, PSNZ reserves the right to cancel the workshop.
- PSNZ will not accept responsibility for travel and accommodation costs incurred by attendees.
- In the event that an attendee booked for the workshop does not turn up, no refund will be given.
- If an attendee cancels between 30 – 15 days prior to the workshop, PSNZ will refund 50% of the workshop fee (less admin fee of $20). If another person on the waiting list can their place, then the attendee will be refunded the total fee paid less the $20 admin fee.
- No refund will be given if an attendee cancels within 14 days of the workshop date unless another person on the waiting list can take their place at short notice. A small administration fee of $20 will apply and be deducted from any refund.
- PSNZ may give a full refund if there are exceptional circumstances involved in a person not being able to attend.